Why is Downtown Revitalization important?
A healthy Downtown Saline can positively affect economic growth and civic pride. Historically, Downtown was the heart and soul of a community. It embodied the true heritage and identity of community life. If selected by the Michigan Main Street Center in 2012, Downtown Saline’s Main Street program will focus on retaining the real sense of community that Downtown provides through historic preservation, improvements and community involvement. The Michigan Main Street Center provides 5 years of downtown revitalization training to Select Level Main Street programs tailored to the community for Board Members and volunteers.
Why is a healthy and vibrant Downtown important? Here are just a few reasons:
- Downtown is a symbol of community economic health, local quality of life, pride and community history. These are all factors in residential, industrial, commercial, and professional recruitment.
- A vital Downtown retains and creates jobs, which also means a stronger tax base. Long-term revitalization establishes capable businesses that use public services and provide tax revenues for the community. This lessens the burden on local government and the community’s taxpayers as well.
- Downtown is a good incubator for new small businessesthe building blocks of a healthy economy. Strip centers and malls are often too expensive for new entrepreneurs. Main Street helps us to create the environment for a strong business community.
- A vibrant Downtown area reduces sprawl by concentrating retail in one area and uses community resources wisely, such as infrastructure, tax dollars, and land.
- A healthy Downtown core protects property values in surrounding residential neighborhoods.
- The traditional commercial district is an ideal location for independent businesses, which in turn: Keep profits in town, supports local families with family owned businesses, supports local community projects such as ball teams and schools, provides a local economic foundation
- A revitalized Downtown provides an important civic forum, where members of the community can congregate. Parades, special events and celebrations are held and reinforce an intangible sense of community.
- Write a letter of support. Please address it to the Saline Historic Downtown Alliance (See example under the FAQ tab) and mail it to P. O. Box 44, Saline, Michigan 48176
- Let us know if there is a group or organization you know of that we could come and present the Main Street Approach.
- Consider making an investment…(We need to show that we have pledges for a five-year period. If you believe that it is important to have a vibrant, healthy, beautiful and active Downtown that our whole community can enjoy for years to come, then please consider showing your support by investing. We hope to have a way to make online contributions soon. The pledges would be billed in January, 2012.
- Share our Facebook page and website with your friends. Help us spread the word!
- Share your time/skills. Fill out the form under the ‘Join Us’ tab and we will contact you.
- We’re open to your suggestions and ideas on how to get the word out. Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.