Want to Help?
Interested in helping to make your community a better place?
1. Help us fund the program by Filling out the Letter of Support (tab at the top of the page)
2. If you are able to Pledge a little or a lot, that would be great! Some people are pledging monthly automatic payments or will pay all at once. Nothing will be billed until notification that we are accepted into the program, which won’t be until March 2012.
3. Hold a ‘Block Party’. Invite your neighbors and friends and we will come and give a short presentation about the program. Make it fun! The success of a Main Street program depends on the support of the people who live there and care about improving and preserving their Downtown. Main Street is a grass-roots community volunteer effort!
4. Spread the word! ‘Like’ our Facebook page and share it with your friends! Every lit bit helps.
5. Have suggestions? Send them to us!
Our selection int he Michigan Main Street program brings many benefits! , Michigan Main Street will help to set up and train our Board members and our teams. The following is a snapshot of what a typical Main Street program will do and the types of volunteer jobs that may be available:
The teams will meet only once a month, for about an hour. Volunteers choose the projects they want to work on, and most of their assignments can be accomplished on their own time. You can expect to put in another 1-4 hours per month on these tasks.
Work is done by following Main Street’s established “Four- Point Approach,” which distributes our tasks to these four committees:
Design Committee: this committee works to get Main Street into top physical shape. Historic preservation is key.
- creates an inviting atmosphere through attractive window displays, parking areas, building improvements, and streetscaping
- instills good maintenance practices in the commercial district, and encourages appropriate new construction, developing sensitive design management systems and long-term planning
Economic Restructuring Committee improves the downtown’s economic base by assisting and recruiting businesses.
- aims to strengthen existing businesses and welcome new ones to our downtown
- conducts and analyzes marketing surveys to determine what businesses the town wants and needs
- works to convert unused or underused commercial space into economically productive property also helps boost the profitability of the district
Organization Committee gets everyone working toward the same goal and assembling the human and financial resources needed to implement a Main Street revitalization program. This is the administrative committee, making sure everything proceeds on schedule.
- promotes the program to the public; recruits and rewards volunteers
- develops fundraising plans, gathers funds from key supporters
- establishes relationships with other entities: city government, civic organizations, etc.
- Go-getters and “admin types,” this is your group!
Promotion Committee markets the district’s unique assets to bring people downtown. Sells a positive image of the commercial district and encourages consumers and investors to live, work, shop, play and invest in the Main Street district.
- creates a positive image through advertising, retail promotional activity, and special events carried out by local volunteers
- these activities improve consumer and investor confidence in the district and encourage commercial activity and investment in the area
Online Resources Coordinator
We’re looking to raise our online profile. We need someone to help manage pages for us on Google, Facebook, Twitter, and others.
We also want to know about cool tools that are available to help get the word out about Main Street and keep our residents up-to-date on what we’re doing. If you enjoy surfing, this would be a great match for you.
Attend our events and take pictures or film for us to use on our website and in promotional materials. Work with our Online Resources Coordinator to get pictures and film posted online. Digital camera required. Hours needed are during special events.
Public Relations/ Reporter
Write up stories for submission to our blogsite, the Saline Reporter, Saline Patch, and other news outlets both on and offline. Write press releases announcing our events and accomplishments. Develop relationships with editors and other pros.
Marketing & Advertising Specialists
Got a knack for headlines? How about ad layouts? Do you have fundraising in your blood? Then this is the place for you. We prepare direct mail promotional pieces, and posters to advertise our events every year. Help us and help yourself–by expanding your portfolio!
We also need ideas. We’re always testing new events and new ways to partner with other businesses and organizations. If you enjoy brainstorming (and then implementing!) this could be your perfect fit.
Help us design effective posters and other promotional materials. Work with our writers to come up with eye-catching notices that really get the word out.
Saline Area Schools Liaison
SAS is a valuable member of the community, and we want to maintain open lines of communication with its students and staff. Our liaison will keep us posted on events and issues affecting the school, and report back to their fellow students what is happening on Main Street. 1-3 hours/month, including our monthly Board Meeting.
We currently have openings on the Design, Promotions, Economic Restructuring, and Organization committees.
Return to top